1. Rise early, and never sit up late.
2. Wash the whole body every morning with cold water, by means of a large sponge, and rub it dry with a rough towel, or scrub the whole body for ten or fifteen minutes with flesh brushes.
3. Drink water generally, and avoid excess of spirits, wine, and fermented liquors.
4. Keep the body open by the free use of the syringe, and remove superior obstructions by aperient pills.
5. Sleep in a room which has free access to the open air.
6. Keep the head cool by washing it when necessary with cold water, and abate feverish and inflammatory symptoms when they arise by persevering stillness.
7. Correct symptoms of plethora and indigestion by eating and drinking less per diem for a few days.
8. Never eat a hearty supper, especially of animal food, and drink wine, spirits, and beer, if these are necessary, only after dinner.
Return to The Household Cyclopedia of General Information